Friday, July 2, 2010

Ben Greene Post 5


I try to challenge my understanding of color by not color picking from the photos I'm referencing. With this one though I decided to first explore the photo's pallet with the color picker window open, just to try and see how it was all working together instead of just guessing. After I studied the image like that I went about painting from what I'd learned but still without color picking for the actual study painting. I found this to be a great way to commit to memory what I was discovering while exploring the photo with the color picker. I'd highly recommend trying it for yourself if you already haven't!

4 comments:

  1. I commented on this image and it disappeared...weird.
    Anyway I basically said you did well but could add more depth cues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. Would you mind elaborating for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There could be a little at the horizon to indicate aerial perspective. Also I would add more detail at the bottom right as right now the texture seems a little simple. Keep working without the colour picker, it will help you when you have no reference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Werd, thanks for the advice. I don't believe in using the color picker, haha. My goal when I started this blog was to sharpen my understanding of color through study, not copy. It's been great so far and I've really enjoyed your posts. Make sure to keep me on my toes with crits like the one you gave here!

    ReplyDelete